Effective Date: March 2, 2018
Information Deputize America Collects
During your use of the Services, Deputize America may collect Personal Information and Non-Personal Information.
“Personal Information” means information about you that is personally identifiable to you, such as your contact information (e.g., name, email address, mailing address, username, password, billing information, profile photos, and other registration information), and any other non-public information that is associated with such information (collectively, “Personal Information”).
“Non-Personal Information” means information about you but that does not identify you, including usage information, internet connection, IP addresses, operating systems, and browser type.
How Deputize America Collects Your Information
Information Provided by You
You may affirmatively give us information about you by filling in forms on the Services or by corresponding with us through the forums, chat, e-mail, website, phone, or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our Services, information given to share with Deputies or other users, payment information, and information given you report a problem with our Services. The information you give us may include Personal Information.
You may provide information to be published or displayed (“Posted”) on public areas of the Site or App (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are Posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although you may set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of third parties with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
You may withdraw your permission and prevent our use of your information by contacting us directly at email@example.com. Please note, that if you choose not to share information with us, this may prevent your use of the Services.
Information Automatically Collected by Deputize America
Like other websites or applications, we also may automatically collect and store information that is generated as you navigate through the Services. We may collect Non-Personal Information about your visit from the browser on your computer or mobile device including but not limited to the time and date you access the Services and the pages you request. We use this information to administer the Services, improve our understanding of customer needs, analyze trends, track navigation of the site, keep track of your shopping cart, keep track of usernames and passwords, tailor web content and advertisements to your interests, personalize the site for you, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. To automatically collect information, we use various technologies including:
1) Analytics. We use various analytics services, including Google Analytics, to better understand how visitors interact with our Services. These analytics services provide non-personally identifiable data including but not limited to data on where visitors came from, what actions they took on our site and where visitors went when they left our site.
3) Cookies (mobile cookies). A cookie is a small file placed on your smartphone. It may be possible to refuse to accept mobile cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your smartphone. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our App.
4) Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Site may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Site. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
5) Real-Time Location. Our Services, specifically the App, collect real-time information about the location of your mobile device so that the Services can connect you to Deputies or other users.
6) Web Beacons. Pages of our Site, App, and e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Site or App content and verifying system and server integrity).
If you do not want us to collect this information do not download the App or delete it from your device and do not use the Site. You may also choose to disable certain aspects of the Services within your user account. Note, however, that opting out of the App’s collection of location information will cause its location-based features to be disabled.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
Disclosure Regarding Do-Not-Track Signals
Some web browsers may transmit "do-not-track" signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Our websites do not currently respond to these “do-not-track” signals.
How We May Use or Disclose Your Information
Use of Personal Information
We will use the information you provide to us for a variety of purposes (subject to applicable legal restrictions), including:
• To create a public profile for your account, including your name, photo, and username;
• To connect you with Deputies and other users that are not employees of Deputize America;
• To create your Deputize America account;
• To provide you with the Services;
• To send you SMS messages regarding your account and any orders or request;
• To provide communication, in accordance with your account settings, between your account information and Deputies or other users at your request;
• To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
• To contact you for support and feedback requests;
• To contact you to inform you of important changes or additions to our Services;
• To administer contests, promotions, or surveys;
• To send you administrative notices, oﬀers and any other communications that we believe may be of interest to you;
• To operate, improve and maintain our products and services;
• To track and monitor web traﬃc;
• To implement SPAM protection; and
• Any other purpose for which you give us authorization.
The usage information we collect helps us to improve our Site and App and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
• Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
• Speed up responses; and
• Recognize you when you use the App or Site.
We use location information we collect to, upon your request, whether directly or through account settings, share your location information with Deputies or other users.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please adjust your user preferences in your account profile or contact us.
Disclosure of Personal Information
1) Internally: We may share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates.
3) Service Providers and Contractors: We reserve the right to disclose to service providers, contractors, or other third parties any or all of the information that we collect through the Services about you to conduct business on our behalf. These activities could include processing or making payments, maintaining the Services, or facilitating email delivery to you. We require that our service providers and contractors protect your Personal Information with the same standards we do but we are not responsible for their policies or practices.
4) By Law or to Protect Rights: We may disclose information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect your safety or the safety of others, to comply with the law, to enforce our intellectual property rights, to enforce our Terms of Service, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Deputize America and our employees, and if necessary to defend against third-party claims. We may also disclose information when requested to comply with a court order, investigation, or governmental request.
Please bear in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your Personal Information available for viewing by third parties online – for example through comments and participation in forums – that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Use and Disclosure of Non-Personal Information.
Deputize America may share with third parties your Non-Personal Information and related aggregated data created by us without restriction, including with marketing partners. Because this form of data does not identify particular users, third parties will not be able to identify you based solely on this data. For example, we may share aggregated usage data or may share general demographic information to provide anonymous aggregated data to business partners or other organizations about the volume of use on the Services.
How We Protect All of Data
We use industry standard physical, technical, and internal administrative security measures to protect the confidentiality and security of your information, including encryption where appropriate. However, as eﬀective as the reasonable security measures we implement may be, no security system is impenetrable. As a result, we cannot guarantee, ensure, or warrant the security of any information submitted to us. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information and to use good judgment before deciding to send information via the Internet. Please note that e-mails and other communications you send to us through the Services are not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means.
By using the Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services, SMS messaging, or sending an email to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice), please contact us at the contact information listed below.
Choices on How You Can Control the Information We Collect, Use and Share
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. If you share information with us, you will have the opportunity to review, update, change, or delete the information you have provided to us (and that we continue to store) at any time through your account settings or by contacting Deputize America. We have also created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
2) Location Information. You can choose whether or not to allow the App to collect and use real-time information about your device’s location through the device’s privacy settings. If you block the use of location information, some parts of the App may then be inaccessible or not function properly.
3) Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to support@DeputizeAmerica.org.
4) Promotional Offers from Deputize America. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the Deputize America to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to support@DeputizeAmerica.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may either unsubscribe within the message or send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt out does not apply to information provided to the Deputize America as a result of a product purchase or service purchase.
Please note that by disallowing sharing of certain information, the Services may no longer function properly with your account.
On request, we will give you a copy of all the Personal Information about you that we hold. This information is subject to a fee not exceeding the prescribed fee permitted by law.
We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes. We are under no obligation to store such Personal Information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such Personal Information. In addition, you should be aware that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data because of backups and other reasons. For example, once we disclose your information to third parties, we may not be able to access that information any longer and cannot force the deletion or modification of any such information by the parties to whom we have made those disclosures. We are under no obligation to destroy anonymized aggregate data.
Regardless of your choices regarding promotional communications and updates regarding content, we may send you administrative messages, service announcements, terms and conditions of your account, or other similar communications, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Third Party Links
This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by our Services. The Services may contain links to other sites or services. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or other practices employed by websites linked to, or from, our website nor the information or content contained therein, and we encourage you to read the privacy statements of any linked third party.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of our Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to support@DeputizeAmerica.org.
Consent to Transfer
Deputize America reserves the right to store this information in and outside of the United States and in locations not under our direct control (for example, colocated server facilities).
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (collectively, “COPPA”) require us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this section, “Parents”) about our practices for collecting, using, and disclosing Personal Information from children under the age of 13 (“Child” or “Children”). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a Child’s Parent for certain collection, use, and disclosure of the Child’s Personal Information.
This section notifies Parents of:
• The types of information we may collect from Children.
• How we use the information we collect.
• Our practices for disclosing that information.
• Our practices for notifying and obtaining Parents’ consent when we collect Personal Information from Children, including how a Parent may revoke consent.
Information We Collect from Children
Children can access many parts of the Services and its content and use many of its features without providing us with Personal Information. However, some content and features are available only to registered users and require us to collect certain information, including Personal Information, from them. In addition, we use certain technologies, such as cookies and location tracking, to automatically collect information from our users (including Children) when they visit or use the Services.
We only collect as much information about a Child as is reasonably necessary for the Child to participate in an activity, and we do not condition his or her participation on the disclosure of more Personal Information than is reasonably necessary.
Information We Collect Directly from Children
For Child users, a Parent must provide us with the following information to register with this website: the Child’s first name, birth date, photo, and a Parent’s email address. We also require Parents, on behalf of their Child user, to create a password.
We enable registered users to communicate with others on or through this Services through chat (“Social Features”). The nature of these features allows Children to disclose Personal Information about themselves. We do not monitor or review this content before it is shared, and we do not control the actions of third parties with whom your Child shares his or her information. We encourage Parents to educate their Children about safe internet use and to monitor their Children’s use of social features.
Automatic Information Collection and Tracking
We use technology to automatically collect information from our users, including Children, when they access and navigate through the Site or App and use certain of its features. The information we collect through these technologies may include:
• One or more persistent identifiers that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites and online services.
• Information that identifies a device’s location (geolocation information).
We also may combine Non-Personal Information we collect through these technologies with Personal Information about you or your Child that we collect online.
How We Use Your Child’s Information
We use the Personal Information we collect from your Child to:
• register him or her with the Services;
• communicate with him or her about activities or features of the Services;
• at your Child’s request, connect your Child to Deputies in an emergency situation;
• allow your Child to communicate with the Parent account through their user account.
We use the information we collect automatically through technology and other Non-Personal Information we collect to improve our Site and App and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
• Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
• Speed up your searches.
• Recognize users when they use the App or Site.
We use location information we collect to, upon a user’s request, whether directly or through account settings, share the user’s location information with Deputies or other users.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information
We do not share, sell, rent, or transfer Children’s Personal Information other than as described in this section.
The App offers Social Features, including chat or direct messaging that enable Children communicate with Deputies or Parent accounts on or through our Services. We do not control the types of information your Child can send or post through them. We encourage Parents to educate their Children about safety online and to carefully monitor their Children’s use of Social Features to ensure they do not disclose their Personal Information through them.
Accessing and Correcting Your Child’s Personal Information
At any time, you may review the Child’s Personal Information maintained by us, require us to correct or delete the Personal Information, and/or refuse to permit us from further collecting or using the Child’s information.
You can review, change, or delete your Child’s Personal Information by:
• Logging into your Child’s account and visiting his or her account profile page.
• Sending us an email at support@DeputizeAmerica.org. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to take certain steps or provide additional information to verify your identity before we provide any information or make corrections.
Changes and Updates